Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

love me some sisterly goodness.

i have two sisters, two wonderful and amazing sisters.
we have quite the age spread between us, but you'd never know it.
it is awesome.


i had the privilege {yes, PRIVILEGE} of going to D.C. with them both last week.  the beauty of going with them is that we can clearly state ahead of time what our expectations for the day are.  like, "i just want a pic in front of the white house and the capital building, and maybe a quick trip through the natural history museum." low, low, low expectations.  being that i was laid out at home the day before with body aches and a miserably sore throat, i needed the lowest of expectations.

i {thankfully} got them.


we took four of our eight children with us.  and obviously, we chose the older half of the brood.  it was perfect.  i get to see my older sister once a year.  solamente uno.  it's never enough.  now that the kids are older, we felt that a field trip was needed.  not only does it help break the monotony of the week, but it gets the kids out and running free... so that they can come back and welcome the monotony back with open arms.  it's awesome.


living near D.C., i totally take that city for granted, but if you've never been, it's a good time with tons to do.  here are some snappy-snaps of our day:


my sister, dre {of Daily Dose of Crazy}, and my little emma girl.


all the wee ones on the metro.  they loved it.
duh.

my sister and her fam.
i {heart} them all.

sisters.
wonderful sisters.

millipede at the insect zoo.
ethan has always been my bug guy.
"such beautiful creatures."

f. me.
i touched the roach but i did not hold it.
my boy is so brave!

a tomato worm.
even i touched this one.
it was awfully adorable.
and totally pop-able.

i just had to document this next one.
rarely does emma step out of her comfort zone.
it was monumental.

if i could take one snapshot in life to describe my sister.....
this would be it......
seriously.

he played along with his mother pretty well, considering he wanted nothing to really do with me that day.  he was in a big city with his big cousins... he wasn't fond of my kisses.

the hope diamond.
the only reason my four year old was upset she didn't go to D.C...
can you believe that?!

freaking amazing.
huge.
colorful.
freaking amazing.
it was called "The Hyperbolic Crochet Coral Reef" exhibit.
pure awesomeness.

one of ethan's favorite parts?
walking over top of this street.
he felt like his life was full of danger.
the simple things.

oh yes... yes that's right.
these are THE ruby red slippers.
you know the slippers i'm talking about.
THE slippers.
do you know who DIDN'T know what i was talking about?
all the kids.
"slippers?"
"Dorothy?"
"Toto?"
oye.
i blame the horribly scary monkeys that scarred me for life and made it impossible for me to fathom ever showing that horror to my own kids.

sweet emma right after she took a step off the curb.  for some reason she thought it was one of those moments where you should smile.  for me, it was one that my heart stopped, my blood turned cold, and my ears went hollow.
i.  peed.  a.  little.
ok, not really, but i was a nervous wreck.

sibs and cousins and aunties.
nobama.
he was vacationing in hawaii.

a great day.
one my kids will continue to talk about all year long.

i love my family, and i'm sad they are gone...
it was worth every load of laundry that got ignored.
every bit of dirt that remains on my floor.
every bit of christmas still floating around my house.
every bit of exhaustion running through my bones.

i love my family.
it was a hell of a holiday season.

muah!


No comments:

Post a Comment